Recently I have reworked a few old projects for my portfolio and some really old ones aswell. I think they turned out very well and are worth posting.
Here is a logo I did for Adara, a women’s perfume. Adara made fresh scents of the beach and the target audience was for upper middle class to high-class women between their early 30’s and early 50’s. Since the beach was a major theme I tried to work it into the logo. As you can see in the early logo I used a women’s profile with long hair blowing in the wind at the beach that also mimics the shape of a wave. Also the outline forms the shape of the lower case “a”, which I kinda liked.
However after 2 years I looked back at the logo and wasn’t sure if I felt like I liked it anymore. I got some advice from a good friend and mentor of mine and I tried a few things and from that the new logo was born. My friend had made the point that I didn’t need all that extra stuff on the logo and that I should try simplifying my design. So I played around with hacking off different pieces of the logo and then adding a slight gradient to give it an airy and clean feeling. I also loved how it kept the basic wave-like shape that still called back to the beach theme, but in simpler way. I also decided to give the type a slight gradient tip as well as go with a sky blue for the color scheme. Overall I think the changes made this mark stronger and helped me to always think simpler.
Another piece I reworked was a poster design I did for human rights in Azerbaijan. Azerbaijan is a democratic country in the middle east, but the government has been suppressing people speaking their minds on blogs. This inspired me to do this for a poster project for my design history class. I used constructivism and da da as influences, but mainly went with constructivism because it calls to communism and Azerbaijan us to be a soviet controlled country. The poster shows the president saying he will suppress their right to free speech with the faces of people of Azerbaijan bordering the poster with censor strips over their mouths.
When I decided to rework the poster I knew I needed to change three things. First I needed to make all the faces around the border different and add some women into the mix. Second I needed to make the mouth less of a hot spot because of all the grey. Third I needed to change the type and the content. I stretched the type and need to just keep it at its natural structure. So I found a passage from Azerbaijan’s constitution about freedom of speech and made it look like he was quoting the words, but not following them. All of these changes definitely made this poster much better.
One of my favorite reworks was for my Birch’s piece, which I have blogged about before. I have already reworked this once, but after listening to some advice from my mentor I decided to try out some changes. In this old version I had the match stick and type creating the shape of an anchor and in the background had a picture of a modern-day boat.
The more I looked at this the more I hated the background picture and felt like the bottom corners were a little too visually heavy. I fixed these two problems by changing the background picture to an old world ship that had more balance and symmetry, and then adding a gradient to the corners and making the blue match the background. Changing the corners color took weight off the bottom and it still give some framing to the bottom of the anchor.
Well this is just some of the stuff I have been working on recently. I am currently working on a magazine with about 10 or 12 pages so keep your eyes peeled for that.